Friday, June 20, 2008

Brassavola Little Stars

Finally got time to take a look to find out more about my orchids.
To begin with is the Brassavola Little Stars.

I got this plants from my neighbours a few years back. And after a year of growing then it starts to bloom. Since 1.5 years back I have repotted them into those rectangle pots and guess what? Until now it still have no blooms. :(

Only today then I realise what went wrong from the expert tips.
In order for it to bloom, 1st it must filled up the pot. My dear, guess it would take quite sometime to fill up mine.

Here is some of the tips to successful growing of the Brassavola Little Stars:
1. Give it as much light as you can - 5-7 hours of sunlight a day is fine.

2. Water it frequently when the new shoots are growing.

3. Add some rooting hormone or seaweed extract into your regular fert when you see the new shoots rooting. Use this for several applications

4. Do not let it bloom - pinch spikes when you see them emerging. Your goal is to get the plant large - the larger the plant the more vigorous it will become.

5. Turn the plant often so that the growths are oriented nicely.


Guess I would need to workhard on it to ensure continuous blooms that will filled my balcony with nice sweet smell. :) Mine now looks like this.


Here a picture of what it looks like.

2 comments:

orchid fairy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
orchid fairy said...

Hi there!

I have two brassavola specimens and have loved their night-time fragrance for years (also referred to as "the fragrant lady of the night"). Your tip on ensuring a healthy and productive plant is helpful, but would you mind explaining in detail how to carefully "pinch off the spikes" of the new blooms? I'm not sure how to do this and have never heard of this technique before. I would hate to get too curious, try if myself, and then ruin my poor orchids. The little stars are my favorite and I want to ensure they are healthy and top quality. I hope you can help me! thank you!

the orchid fairy